Sunday, February 1, 2009

Girls in the forest

One last show-and-tell before I leave on vacation; hopefully I'll have something new to write up then!




















This dress marks my return to (more frequent) garment sewing last year. I figured a dress for little el might fit the bill of being fun, fast, and satisfying my decorating urges.

Pattern: Ottobre spring 2008, model no. 3.
Size: probably the 92 with generous seam allowances!
Fabric: linen and scraps from Koenigreich der Stoffe, label appliqué and border with forest motif by Farbenmix also from KdS, just like the squirrel buttons.
Difficulties: I might give up on lined bodices and just line the whole dress in the future; I can't seem to wrap my head around getting it all sewn together neatly on the inside. This lining as drafted also doesn't include the armscyes, which you're supposed to just fold inwards and sew. This looked stretched out and less than neat even from the outside, so I put another decorative border on the seam allowance. Fiddly to say the least, with the little armholes already sewn together.

I sort of had in mind a whole forest-themed wardrobe for DD, but only got as far as the next dress:


Other than the front crossing over in the other direction, and a slightly slimmer cut to account for different figures, this is an exact copy of the turquoise dress posted earlier (actually, I sewed this first, so it's the original). I have to admit, I get bored easily; before I've even come close to perfecting one pattern I'd rather go and try another. But I diverted myself by playing with fabrics and notions, so this was okay to do twice.

Pattern: Ottobre winter 2007, model no. 9
Size? The pattern only goes up to size 92 - about 1 1/2 years - and my DD was 2 1/2 at the time, so I probably scaled it up a bit.
Fabric: green small whale (sp?) soft corduroy, and cotton flower print for the half lining, from http://www.koenigreich-der-stoffe.net/. Red-and-white gingham bias tape. Small ladybug button and hedgehog appliqué from Karstadt.
I'd recommend this pattern; no fiddly closures, few buttons, easy to alter for bigger or smaller toddler tummies.

This makes me itch to start another overdecorated girls' project. I detect a pattern here!
On another note, I'd appreciate any input on yesterday's posting question. See you in two weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute dresses! I love the deer ribbon and how you used just a little in the bottom corner.

    As to yesterdays questions, I have seen others put line drawings of BWOF specifically on their blogs but I don't know how they do it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin