Tuesday, January 27, 2009

little el

One of my "little el"s in a sweater I sewed for my goddaughter about five years ago. I don't remember the size, but she was 5 months old at Christmas when I gave her this, and I sewed an identical sweater for my godson who is 2 months older, so it must have been an 80 (9 months) at the most, possibly smaller. I never saw either of them wear it, and now I know why. See how wide it is? It has amost too much ease even for my daughter who in this picture is 2 1/2 years old. But the fabric is one of my all-time favorites, polar fleece with little sheep/lambs printed all over. So I made my daughter wear it with fashionable 3/4-sleeves! The pattern, by the way, was BWOF. Now I have my own kids around to measure and try for fit, but I admit this has me using Ottobre rather than BWOF for children's wear. (In case anyone reads this: what is your experience with BWOF kids' patterns and fit?)

Happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. I have only made a few children's things from BWOF, and have found the sizing a bit variable. I made a smocked dress and panties from July 08 size 3 months - the dress was so wide my 18 month old niece wears it as a top, but the panties were fine on the 3 month old! I made the size 18 month rompers from the same issue, and they only just fit my 16 month old niece in length - width was perfect. I made the shirts from September 08 for my 6 year old son, size 110cm, and they fit well, other than being 5cm shorter than a Topkids magazine shirt, also size 110cm. I don't know if you look at patternreview, but here is a link to a list of reviews of children's patterns from BWOF
    http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?submit=1&pn=1&search=1&CompanyID=3&Type=9&summary=1
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin