Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Scrap Busting and Swimsuit Sewing

I made DD another sun hat from the same pattern I've used before. Didn't retrace, although her head has grown; I just cut the pieces a bit bigger and it's fine.
If you're looking for a pattern I really recommend this one (BWOF 4/2009/142). It can be worn brim up or brim down, and when it's down provides good shade for the eyes, which can get important when children are too little to wear (or keep on) sunglasses. Besides, it's cute! And, as the title says, perfect for using up scraps.



This girls' top wasn't made from leftover scraps, but all the same used so little fabric that there's a couple of tops left in those fabrics for me. I didn't use a pattern, just cut around an existing top. DD started giving me that "Where's the pink and violet, and where's my glitter??" look, so I hastened to add a yoyo. Now I want the same top for myself. Too bad I'm not four anymore.

(Seeing this I realize I also made DS a sleeveless tee but forgot to take a picture. Oh well. Not half as cute. Poor, poor boys.)


Speaking of age, I must be this town's oldest H & M shopper (other than in the kiddie department), but I'm always very lucky (although I'm not buying a lot these days) and their stuff fits me. The same used to be true for their swimsuits. Well, not anymore. All of a sudden I loathe all their designs and colors. What ...? The same thing happened a couple of years ago with popular music radio stations. A sign that middle age is encroaching, I guess. What's a sewer to do?


Right, spend several hours of beautiful summer weather that will never return, staring at the screen researching swimsuit patterns and supplies. I ordered from no less than three sources and spent 50 € which doesn't sound so bad unless you consider that I got two suits for 10 € each at H&M last year. This had better become the suit of suits, so to speak. (FYI, I'm making the more covered view A. Yes, DH would also be very happy with the others. I'm saying I'll make those for DD in a couple of years!)




Let's hope I didn't jinx the project by making a public announcement beforehand... But I'd love to hear your input and tips if you've sewn a swimsuit before. Other than that, please wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. I am crazy in love with your swimsuit fabric. I can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your swimsuit fabric choices - very cool prints!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The swimsuit fabric is awesome. It is only 1 degree celcuis here in Sydney this morning, so swimsuits are far from my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some great swimsuit fabric! Where did you get it from? I made a couple of bikinis last year. It took a little time to figure out which stitch was best for sewing lycra but once I did it was pretty easy. Have fun sewing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you'll find making a swimsuit is not so hard. One thing I would say is find metal closures, not plastic. When I have used the plastic ones they always break. I love the printed fabric. Can't wait to see it made up. Cute hat and top by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. making clothes for kids must be so enjoyable, I love simple projects. The fabric for the swim suit is very interesting, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Uta, I am happy to have found your blog! I left a comment the other day, but can't find it. Maybe blogger has swallowed it...
    I have never made swimsuits before, but I like the idea. Yesterday I was thinking of making my own underwear, because I am not happy with the things in the shops.
    I would have loved to send you an email, but couldn't find the email-adress. Maybe you want to visit me at my blog !

    Nice sunny day Manuela

    And, the swimsuit fabric is just gorgeous, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin