Sunday, July 11, 2010

Swimsuit Jalie 2446 View A

While working on the swimsuit, which took quite a while - the weather being positively tropical here at the moment - I thought about posting on it. Emotionally, posing in a swimsuit is no different than posing in a dress for me. And I'm all for being cool - a swimsuit is a swimsuit etc.





On the other hand, this is the internet. Who knows what big bad wolf might happen upon my pictures and abuse them, or use them to ridicule me? (A thought I also have when posting pictures of the children.)

I always tried not to let fear govern my behaviour. When I was younger and out and about, I consciously chose the alley that was the shortest walk for me, no matter how dark or isolated it was.


This is a sewing blog. So, for the benefit of anyone pear-shaped wanting to sew this swimsuit, here's the full picture, and the full story:


This was my second time sewing a single (not magazine) pattern, my first Jalie pattern and my first swimsuit.


I like the Jalie pattern, the instructions, and the sizing is spot on. I think it also looks a lot like the picture on the pattern envelope. (Not Jalie's fault, but would you believe I didn't understand that "fold line" meant "cut on the fold"?)

I had a few glitches sewing on the elastic, and my machine didn't particularly like the lycra fabric (skipped stitches unless I sewed through tissue paper). Considering I did this without a serger I'm quite satified though. When it was done I had my doubts whether I chose the right pattern for my body type, but now I'm starting to like it a lot. Sometimes a picture is a better judge than the mirror!


A short note on the covered buttons I made for DD's apron top: They held up perfectly well in the wash! So, for anyone wanting to save a few pennies, or wishing for a low-tech method for covering buttons, try the method I outlined in this post!

13 comments:

  1. This is amazingly cute! I love the style and the fabric is perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uta, this turned out great! It looks so professional and the fit could not be better. I like how you used red as an accent color. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suit! But if you had trouble with skipped stitches, did you use a stretch needle specifically? Much more likely source of trouble for lycra knits..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super geworden!

    Ich mag den "Retro-Look" der Hose und den roten Kontrast-Stoff, und der blaue Stoff hatte mein Herz ohnehin sofort erobert!

    Liebe Grüße Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous!! YOU look fabulous, too! I need this pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute swimsuit! I love the boy legs. It's very becomming. Nice sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great swim suit, it looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! this is FANTASTIC! Love the fabric and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I think it's flattering for a pear. i think conventional wisdom is we should wear french cut rather than boy cut shorts, but I like the boy cut ones much better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great on you! Very flattering, I like the boy cut shorts and the red trim. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally in love with that fabric! The boy cut shorts are very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the boy shorts and appreciate you sharing a picture of yourself in them! I've been searching high and low for a boy shorts pattern as I want something with a little more coverage in the front since I end up with horrible red bumps from shaving/waxing the bikini area. These look perfect!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin