Friday, October 22, 2010

Ode to Liberty's

I don't normally go for "brand" names. Unless I'm truly convinced they stand for superior quality or design. Unless the brand/store embodies all I find beautiful. Unless the brand/store makes shopping a purely enjoyable experience - no ugly attacks on the eyes/ears/nose like most high street and department stores offer.
(The gallery at Liberty's with a giant flower installation/art/decor.)

Aaaah. Liberty.


The only negatives I have to offer are the ugly makeover they gave their tea room (why??) and the prices. To be honest though, their fabric goes far beyond what I can buy at fabric markets for 5-15 Euros per metre. So here's about 5-10 fabric markets metre's worth of Liberty fabric:




Dear friends, I have two questions. One, how dare I ever cut into it? Two, what pattern to use? I have 1,5 metres (it's wool and silk), and I'd like to make a blouse/tunic, as usual from Burda Style or maybe Ottobre Woman patterns.




I also bought some cotton duck at Cath Kidston with a cutesy London print I'm probably too old for but will still make into a bag or tote of some sort:



DH upon entering Cath Kidston's said "Now here's a real girl's store!". I think he's right, and too much Cath Kidston might make for a toothache. But it's still fun to see Asian tourists pile their shopping baskets full of flowery knick-knacks! And, I love that she doesn't just sell the stuff but the fabrics, too.

5 comments:

  1. There is a liberty lawn print with blue roses that I would dearly love to have, but it is too expensive for me to justify. I love the print that you have. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never taken the Liberty plunge, but if I visited the store I don't see how I could resist....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that's a fantastic piece of fabric.. there's no way I could have resisted! I love the print you picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely fabrics - sorry I can't offer any suggestions - I'm sure you'll figure something out - I think it will be a case of the "fabric telling the story" - keep it simple and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help, because I an 100% sure that if I purchased that fabric (which wouldn't be hard for me to do), I'd absolutely never cut into it at all. I'd just hoard it. And dream.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin